Saturday, April 07, 2012

Good Friday - Holy Saturday


These last days of Lent are powerful.  They are a time to set aside deliberate time to contemplate the ultimate sacrifice of Christ for humanity.  Too often, the urgent drowns out the important.  The rush of work, the taunt of obligation, and the gasp of weariness are enemies of our souls.  It is ironic that we think that as we are in the midst of these things that we are experiencing ‘real life’.  In fact, these things keep us from TRUE LIFE. 

True Life is found in Jesus, His agenda, and His Kingdom.  The Bible tells us (pleads with us) to seek first His Kingdom.  It is when Kingdom thoughts and ways are central in our desires and priorities that we are walking within the power of His Life.  It is so important, especially on days like today, to still our hearts to think on these things.

The above picture is from the Church of the Holy Sepulchure.  This is where historically the church has thought Jesus was crucified and buried.  Praise God, another name for this place is the Church of the Resurrection.

This painting, however, has remained in my thoughts and heart.  The anguish and pain of the crucifixion and burial of Christ is captured in a stark, dramatic mosaic.  These past 2 days, especially, these images have burned into my mind.  


Silence and tears seemed the only response fitting at the time.  But…while I considered all I was seeing, the words to a haunting hymn rose to the surface of my heart as well.  While I did not sing aloud, my heart quietly echoed these words as my prayer of contemplation, adoration and worship.  These remain even truer this evening…Holy Saturday…before the dawn of Easter Sunday:

What Wondrous Love Is This
American Folk Hymn

What wondrous love is this, O my soul, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this
That caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul!

When I was sinking down, sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down
Beneath God’s righteous frown,
Christ laid aside His crown for my soul for my soul,
Christ laid aside His crown for my soul.

To God and to the Lamb I will sing, I will sing;
To God and to the Lamb I will sing;
To God and to the Lamb,
Who is the great I AM,
While millions join the theme, I will sing, I will sing,
While millions join the theme, I will sing.

And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on;
And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on.
And when from death I’m free
I’ll sing His love for me,
And through eternity I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on,
And through eternity I’ll sing on.
 

No comments: