Saturday, July 07, 2012

Long Walk 2012


Show me the right path, O Lord; point out the road for me to follow.
Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me.
All day long I put my hope in you.
 
Ps 25:4-5 NLT

The Long Walk is a tradition of the Daily Audio Bible community that I have come to embrace with great expectancy…knowing that God would speak deeply into my heart as He has in the years past that I have deliberately set aside time to cease the clamor of the normal routine to instead come to rest at His feet to simply chose the ‘better thing’. 

I left home early (for a Saturday) and ventured to our local State Park.  I traveled through a Wind Farm and pulled over to capture a moment.  
I loved the fact that the many wind turbines represented so many others united today within the DAB Community with one goal…to spend time walking with Jesus with the intent to simply be with Him fully in the moment and to listen to what He would speak into each one’s heart.

The park is a bit of a small oasis on the otherwise flat, monotonous miles of Central Illinois farmland.  It was just the change of venue that opened my heart, my senses, and my spirit to hear Him and see Him with greater clarity. 
 The sights and sounds of a quiet wooded path are so different from the sterile, controlled surroundings of my normal workday world.  I felt the heat of the day, the few gentle breezes, watched birds, squirrels and butterflies, and enjoyed the sounds of rustling leaves and crunching twigs under my feet.  In all those things, I saw and heard God!
 The trails I wandered had unique treasures to experience.  Weeds obscured one path.  I could barely see the way, but as I looked forward, with the goal in mind, rather than consumed by each step, the way became clearer…and I saw purpose (HOPE).  I heard God urge me to trust Him deeper in the whole of the journey, rather than to focus on the weeds of life.    He is faithful to show me the path and to go before me in the journey.
 I found a quiet bench in the midst of one of the trails.  Since the heat was extreme today, I pretty much had the trails to myself.  I read, I meditated on God’s Word, and I listened.  I rested in the quiet hush of beauty and was embraced by the Creator of it all.

The song that was playing in my ear buds when I began the walk:  

You Captivate Me - The People's Church 

Every time that I am still
I hear You calling out to me
Every time I close my eyes
I see you standing there

Every time you touch my soul
I feel the warmth of your embrace
Every time I run to you
You never turn away

When I am weak
You are still strong
You are the one who has left me undone

You captivate me
You set me free
You fill up my heart with grace that I need
You captivate me

Here in the quiet I hear you speak to me
Filling my thoughts, my heart, my everything
I hang on every word just like a child
My eyes are fixed on You
You are my desire

No comments: